Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Tasting Notes: Working Late @ Father's Office

I once told a cab driver to "step on it" (yes, it was seriously overdramatic) in order to make it to Father's Office before the kitchen closed on a Friday night. The Father's Office burger and sweet potato fries are an essential part of my life in southern California. After having tasted those piping hot, perfectly salted and just-crispy-enough taters, I now find myself in other bars begging them to bring out an order of sweet potato fries with garlic aioli, please please please, to no avail.

First and foremost, however, Father's Office is not a restaurant but a bar - someone is checking ID at all times, even at 1 pm on a Sunday. They have a vast, changing, and well-selected array of beers bottled and on-tap, but they also pour some good wines, with a fair representation of Santa Barbara producers. Should you be in Culver City or Santa Monica, definitely pop in, get some fries, and savor them once you've staked out a table (gets pretty competitive, especially at the smaller, original location in Santa Monica).

2006 Paige 23 Pinot Noir San Luis Obispo

Described in the tasting notes as having flavors of plum, cherry, and smoky raspberry, this wine was a full and fun pinot noir that had hit you pretty hard in the nose. It was soft and creamy on the palate. Though I can't say I'd call it smoky raspberry, I see the inspiration; the Paige was a full of those dark, fruity flavors and actually had a soft finish.

2006 Poderi dal Nespoli Sangiovese di Romagna
I was ready for something bigger, and this sangiovese fit the bill. It was still an easy accompaniment for some light conversation, but also had a bit of spice and tannins that complemented the heavy Indian flavors from my lamb skewers. Both good wines that I'd come back to.

---
Father's Office
1018 Montana Ave
Santa Monica, CA
(kitchen closes 11pm Thurs - Sat,

No comments:

Post a Comment